Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas, 2010

Rush, rush, rush! Still some time left to fill those Christmas stockings and that little space left under the tree. It won’t make you any happier, but the merchants will sure like it, not that they will remember you the next time you come in or anything. This year I’ve found myself being less excited for the coming of Christmas than at anytime in my life. Maybe it’s due to the constant barrage of advertising we’ve had since before Thanksgiving, whether coming from newsprint, radio, television, or the internet.

I still remember the time when Christmas wasn’t mentioned before Thanksgiving since Thanksgiving meant something besides gorging and watching a football game. I also remember when Christmas celebrated the birthday of someone special, and the retail aspect of the holiday was secondary. I’m certain that a very large percentage of gift shoppers give little or no thought to the religious aspect. They’ve been persuaded and even programmed to spend gobs of money to buy gifts with money some of them don’t have.

Just to remind myself, I searched out the meaning of some of the symbols of Christmas:

* The Star: A heavenly sign of prophecy fulfilled long, long ago- The shining hope of mankind.

* The Color Red: The first color of Christmas, symbolizing that Savior's sacrifice for all.

* The Fir Tree: Evergreen- the second color of Christmas shows everlasting light and life. The needles point up to heaven.

* The Bell: Rings out to guide lost sheep back to the fold, signifying that all are precious in His eyes.

* The Candle: A mirror of starlight, reflecting our thanks for the star of Bethlehem.


* The Candy Cane: Represents the shape of the shepherd's crook, used to bring lost lambs back to the fold.

* The Wreath: A symbol of the never ending eternal value of love… having no end.

Well, I had better get out of my funk and cheer up and wish Merry Christmas to the many people who I count as friends in this world. I’ll even go so far as to wish everyone else the same. I can’t express it any better than by using the old Christmas saying of “Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men.”