Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Looking for the Truth

There are three truths: my truth, your truth, and the truth. - Chinese Proverb


For those who know me best it is probably well understood that I am a “Blue Dog Democrat,” which is to say a conservative one. All sorts of descriptions float around, maybe saying I’m a bit left of center fits best. Whatever, when I’m reading or listening to media I go for quiet, well-reasoned dialogues where issues are intelligently discussed in a friendly setting. I appreciate the MSNBC program “Morning Joe” because it features just such discussions. Joe Scarborough is a Republican and one of his regular appearing sidekicks is Pat Buchanan, avowedly conservative. But other guests balance the discussions and the level of repartee is usually pleasant.

I recently heard Jon Meacham, editor of the Newsweek magazine, say on "Morning Joe" that we presently have an entire class of media people who depend on conflict for their livelihood, not conflict resolution. If they make their living from throwing poisoned darts will they ever go away? I don‘t think so. Names of the culprits come easy, but I don’t want to credit their existence by naming them.

While on my recent trip to the northeast , I missed the Eric Sevareid Symposium held in Bismarck, although I kept up with it as best as I could on the internet. Two of Sevareid’s proteges, Dan Rather and Bob Schieffer, attended as featured speakers. A quote I picked up from Schieffer stood out loud and clear; he talked of people’s “journalism of validation. They will listen only to those who agree with their point of view.”

It’s only occasionally that people take hard-hitting criticism good-naturedly. Zgigniew Brzesinski, Jimmy Carter’s national security advisor, appeared on Morning Joe. Scarborough thought he could discuss world events on a par with him when he said something about the Israel-Palestine crisis. Brzesinski shot back, “You know, you have such a stunningly superficial knowledge of what went on that it’s almost embarrassing to listen to you.” Wearing a sheepish grin, Joe acted as if he had no hard feelings about being put in his place and has had Brzesinski back for commentary since that time. That’s the kind of behavior I enjoy seeing.

This blog appears each Wednesday morning (usually).