Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Haircuts

We keep getting ready for our big trip to Florida. I just returned from the barber shop where I had him shear off a lot of hair. It was just another detail on our list of to-do’s. For some reason I was reminded of other haircuts, ones that I gave. The deed took place in the Wind River country of Wyoming. One evening we sat around visiting in a home, and the discussion came around to haircuts. For some reason, I stated I could cut hair (I must have been thinking about sheep shearing) and the two gentlemen both thought a little trim would be in their best interest. Bravado brought on by beer must have made me do it, but there I was pretending to be the barber. Everything seemed to be all right when I finished. We probably celebrated by opening another can of beer.

This was in the time that I was the high school principal. The next morning I sat in my office doing something at my desk when in walked one of the men accompanied by his wife. Words were not exchanged. Their reason for coming in was for display purposes only. He was nicked up pretty good! The wife who normally wielded a sharp tongue said nothing; he said nothing; they walked out. Never have I experienced a more poignant conversation where no words were spoken! I did not have to confront my other victim since he taught in another small town’s school. A few days later when I saw him I realized he had suffered the same fate. Fortunately, I did keep their friendship for the duration of our stay, but this subject was never broached.

Now, this afternoon, I’m going to the dentist...