Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Good Times

Good Times
We spent the weekend in Medora attending and participating in the 21st Annual Dakota Poetry Gathering. It’s an event I hope to keep on my schedule. I took a turn on stage both Saturday and Sunday afternoons and got good audience response. The main thing that needs improvement is my guitar playing, but when I talk loud enough it drowns out the wrong notes. When you look out across the crowd that’s in attendance you see mostly an older crowd. I hope that younger performers get interested so that it continues on.
The term Cowboy Poetry doesn’t fit all that well, since only a few of the participants hold strictly to that point of view. A good deal of the work uses a more contemporary approach to rural life, myself included. I’m already thinking about future pieces and will enjoy writing them. One guy from a small South Dakota town that is celebrating a reunion this summer came asking if he could use the pieces that I performed on Sunday. I gave him copies provided he doesn’t forget who wrote them.
...
The rain keeps falling here. It’s as green as I remember seeing this part of the country. Listening to radio reports tells us that crop conditions are nearly ideal. Crops, pastures and hay ground look good, stock ponds have risen, and everyone is in a pretty good mood because of it.
...
The flap about competing restaurant chains shows a cheap shot. Some chain that’s not in this part of the country accuses Hardee’s in their commercials that Hardee’s does not use good parts of the Angus in their burgers, something like if you take the "g" out of Angus what’s left. I think Hardee’s was trying to get it stopped.